Rapid Fire (Film) Review - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows.


In Realm Beyond Sight's "Rapid Fire Review" I hit the good, the bad, and try to get out before the review becomes too long winded. In this new review I take a look at the film Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows.

Turn off your brain, wake up your inner child, and enjoy! That is my suggestion for this film. Before I do that though let me be clear that if you are looking for a solid film with an amazing story this is not it. The story lacks any real depth and the newly introduced characters are thrown into the mix without real development. Okay, now to turn off my brain! The childhood TMNT fan in me thought this film was quite enjoyable. It is total fan service. Casey Jones was a lot of fun but comes off as a much lesser character than I expected him to be. I didn't like that in his alley fight scene you can hear him talk perfectly fine in his mask but when he says his name to April it's all of a sudden muffled so that it could be funny. Lame. Tyler Perry nailed the role of Baxter Stockman and I cracked up whenever he did his laugh. I really appreciated Shredder's new armor which looked much better but the all black choice was odd. He unfortunately however just gets tossed aside by Krang which was weird. Krang himself though looked pretty cool. Was it just me or did we never see the finished Krang body suit like in the commercials and trailers? The Foot Clan being actual ninja was a thankful change from the first film but one disappointment was the fact that again Karai was a nothing character. I was hoping for more from her this time around. A major complaint that I will put out there is that, like in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Secret of the Ooze, the Turtles do not use their weapons in this film! What?! That is inexcusable. Moving on, the two new "vehicles" in the film, the Shellrazer and the Technodrome, were incredible. The Turtles' Shellrazer was built with craziness that was straight out of the show and comics and although the Technodrome didn't do much it was still awesome to see it (almost) fully assembled with the large laser eye on top. I enjoyed the family arguments and self identity issues the the Turtles faced throughout the film. It made them feel a little more real. I also really liked the theme song ringtone on the Turtles' communicators (phones?). Classic TMNT phrases like "Cowabunga" and "Turtle Power" made me smile as did the Turtles battling Bebop and Rocksteady! There were times where Bebop and Rocksteady looked odd but finally getting them on the big screen was amazing! Lastly, the music throughout the film reminded me of Transformers when things get intense. Interesting. Overall, an enjoyable film if you are a true, long term fan but nothing of real substance here.

"Let's just say we're four brothers from New York, who hate bullies, and love this city." -Raphael


Rating: Fun film (if you are a fan)! Looking for depth? Run!

Show your support by "liking" and following my Facebook and Twitter accounts. Get the latest news and fun conversations! Facebook and Twitter - RealmBeyondS


Comments