Studio Ghibli announces they will shut down their animated film department!

San from Princess Mononoke
Recently, there have been a lot of rumors going around that Studio Ghibli is in danger and that they could be shutting down all together. These rumors began to circulate shortly after Hayao Miyazaki announced his retirement so most assumed that this was just people overreacting to Miyazaki's announcement.

Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki shocked the anime world when he appeared on the MBS Jounetsu Tairiku TV show in Japan and announced that Studio Ghibli will dismantle their anime film department and will now only manage its trademarks. This is very surprising news after 29 years of amazing films.

The world has certainly lost a creative and innovative animation company. It is being reported that the translation of the interview may imply that Studio Ghibli may be taking a break as they restructure their anime department and rebuild but for the moment the studio will stop making feature films. All the same, this is very sad news.

Are you upset by this sudden news? Is there a particular Studio Ghibli film that has stood out for you and become your favorite?

Source: First Showing

Comments

  1. I'm sad. :.( I absolutly love almost all their films. Nausicaa is my favorite and I really enjoyed the retelling of the Borrowers. my daughter was rocking out to the Totoro theme and dancing with her Totoro plush before I heard the sad news from my wife. I knew that Miyazaki was on his last film, but I didn't expect Studio Ghibli to completly stop animating!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment