Roland Emmerich is set to bring Stargate back to the big screen with a new trilogy!


Huge news sci-fi fans! Stargate is returning to the big screen! That's right!! This news excites me to no end as I am a huge Stargate fan!

Warner Bros. and MGM have agreed to develop a new trilogy of films based on the incredible 1994 sci-fi film Stargate. Roland Emmerich is returning as writer and director with Dean Devlin returning to once again produce. To have these two return to the franchise is such incredible news.

Emmerich and Devlin have worked on these films for years but have never been given the green light to go ahead with the project. Fans may remember Emmerich commenting how they had always intended to do a Part 2 and 3 to the 1994 film but were not given the go. Now it looks like he will finally have his chance to tell his story.

When I saw Stargate in 1994 I instantly fell in love with it. It mixed my love of sci-fi and Egyptian mythology and it was only natural that when the television shows came around I fell in love with those as well. Emmerich has commented that he was a fan of the shows and that they actually never touched on his planned out story. So when this new trilogy comes to theaters fans can expect something entirely new. I am really excited for these films and really excited to see the story that Emmerich brings to the screen! I was truly saddened when Stargate Universe ended and brought the end of the Stargate franchise after 14 years of greatness. (Click here to read my post "Burying the Gate" about the franchise ending.) So I am now happy to see it return!

Are you a fan of the Stargate film and/TV series? Share some of your favorite moments and your thoughts on this newly planned trilogy.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Comments

  1. Any word on who is going to be acting in it?

    I have to say, Stargate and Atlantis are probably two of my most beloved shows of all time. And watching them as a kid, I cried when season 7 ended and I though Jack was dead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment there was no word on actors. When this first popped up as a "possibility" a year ago Emmerich stated that he'd love to bring Spader and Russell back and that his original sequel was set years later so now he wouldn't have to age them.
      However, this seems like he may be rebooting the story and I'd assume keep elements of his original tale and sequel ideas. So new actors are a strong possibility.
      I too loved SG-1 and Atlantis. I have the DVD box sets and have marathons. Its always a great time.

      Delete

Post a Comment