Super Mario Bros. 2 art piece, "The 8 Bits of Subcon", truly honors the source game.

Take a look at this awesome piece of art from artist JAmes Tranzen that features the characters from Super Mario Bros. 2. The piece itself shows the viewer an amazing color scheme that is reminiscent of the game and really gives off great depth as you look towards the top of the piece. The piece is titled "The 8 Bits of Subcon". 
"I get a little sad at how generic the Mario series has gotten over the years compared to the original games. I know its a bit of nostalgia, but I think a lot of passion/creativity is missing from Mario as of late. For this piece, I wanted to do a limited tone piece just set to the colors of the original NES/Famicom release of the game. There is something about keeping everything thing so limited that really made the world jump out to me.
I decided to call this the 8 Bits of Subcon since it represents a lot of the enemies found in the game, which are known as the 8 Bits. Subcon is the world the characters enter in the game. The background kind of mish-mashes the look of a few levels found in the game. Mario 2 is a very vertical-orientated game compared to others in the Mario series, so I wanted that to be reflected in the piece as well."
Well done, James! This piece is incredible!

*Click image to enlarge.

Source: Deviant Art - GoshaDole

Comments