J.K. Rowling may be considering two Harry Potter director's cut books!


J.K. Rowling has come forward to reveal that she has considered giving her fans a first in the book industry. We’ve seen it done before with movies but Rowling is saying that she has at least thought about giving fans not one but two “Director’s Cut” books for the Harry Potter franchise. Although she may have taken her time with her most recent book The Casual Vacancy, it appears that Rowling feels she could have spent a little more time on two of her Harry Potter novels. While talking to the BBC arts editor, Will Gompertz, Rowling stated,
"There were a couple of the Potters and I definitely knew that they needed another year. I had to write on the run and there were times when it was really tough. And I read them, and I think 'Oh God, maybe I'll go back and do a director's cut', I don't know."
Rowling feels that the success of the Harry Potter novels meant that she had nothing to prove and that,
"Harry Potter truly liberated me in the sense that there's only one reason to write, for me—if I genuinely have something I want to say, and I want to publish it."
Rowling only revealed that there are two Harry Potter novels that she wished she had more time to write, one at the beginning and one toward the end but did not reveal which novels they were in particular. It is also important to be clear that at the moment she is not saying that she is making these books but just saying that she has thought about it.

Which two novels in the Harry Potter franchise do you feel could benefit from a 'director's cut'? Let me know which two and why in the comments. For Rowling's full interview see the source link.

Source: BBC News

Comments

  1. I think it is Chamber of Secrets and Half Blood Prince, even though they are my two favorites. Half Blood Prince was not as well-rounded as the others, it felt incomplete. Personally, I was not a big fan of Goblet of Fire because I found the Triwizard/Quidditch stuff took up too much of the novel, but since thats smack in the middle of the 7, I doubt that is the one she meant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she would definitely edit Goblet and Order, because those are the two she consistently talks about wanting to fix. Goblet because that monster was written in 1 year (!!!) and she obviously felt rushed. Order because she didn't really edit that one (and let's be honest, it shows), and has said she wants to trim it down.

    I don't think she'd touch HBP because she wrote that at her own pace, and it's clearly well-edited, and there are just no complaints there. I definitely think she could touch up Chamber somewhat, and Sorcerer's Stone. I noticed this on my current read-through, but Stone has almost no lengthy "scenes" - it's much more of quick cuts, whereas in later books she spends a long time on a specific scene. So maybe that'll get fixed.

    I'm not sure how I feel about this though. The Potter books are classics, and for better or worse this is how they are. I just don't think I want that tampered with, not even by Jo herself. Besides, a directors cut of HP would mean less new writing from Jo!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment